"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Round Two Coming Up...

I attended the "Look Good, Feel Better" seminar offered by the Breast Cancer Society. Association. Whichever. My DEAR and TALENTED friend Terri attended with me. Terri is a former hairdresser and has graciously offered to be my wig advisor and stylist. The class didn't offer any ground-breaking make-up tips as far as I'm concerned, but ANYTHING with Terri there is fun, and we did get a cool bag w/ free product in it, some of it high-end stuff like Clinique and Este Lauder. Terri and I both decided, however, that there is always a reason for everything, and our reason for being there was for a woman named Kitty. She was there alone, so a told her I'd share my guest.

Kitty was to the stage where her hair had just started falling out in clumps. She was a shy and quiet woman, said she had never really been one for make-up. Terri helped her do her make-up in a tasteful and understated way that did brighten up her face. She said though her hair had faded w/ age, she was a natural red-head, so we talked her into trying on a perky red wig. It was SO good on her, perfect w/ her skin. It looked so great, a little brighter than what she would have gone with but I told her that if she colored her hair, this is what she'd go with. We talked her into to checking it out from the Association. (they let you check out wigs, scarves, hats; whatever they have).

I found a beautiful blue large scarf, with gold on it, and tied it on my head in turban fashion, with the ends twisted and wrapped around. Everyone thought I was very clever for knowing how to do that already. So, when I took it off, and Kitty was admiring it, I said, let's put it on you! I wrapped it on Kitty's head and her face just shined! It was a beautiful color for her coloring, and you could see she felt more comfortable in it. She cried a little and confessed she was still in denial, but I think we really helped her feel better. I gave her my business card and cell number. We talked her into checking the scarf out too, and she wore it home. It is a blessing to be put someplace to help another, and I'm thankful for that opportunity.

Today is day 14 since my initial chemo treatment, and, as if on cue, I have begun shedding. Just a little, but enough to let me know it's coming. I have picked out favorites among the hats and scarves Mom passed on to me, and have practiced wearing them a bit in the evenings. This is a point of entertainment for Brad when I do silly things with the one's I'm not crazy about.

When I went for my blood-draw today, the nurses thought my port site still looked too swollen and possibly a bit infected. They talked to the doctor later, as he was on rounds when I was in the this morning, and called in some antibiotics for me. Hopefully, thanks to the Neulasta, my bloodcount will still be fine and I can do my second treatment tomorrow as planned. I also see the doctor tomorrow. (cute doctor; wear makeup and nice clothes - haha) Mom has taken a floater holiday off so that she can take me.

Love you all!!

No comments: