"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - Replies

HAHA! That IS a bonus!

Well, I'm glad that you explained all that was good news, otherwise I'd be very confused. : ) But, I'm glad things are looking positive! What is the port all about? The chemo has to have its own orifice? HAHA! Can you tell I'm loopy?? I'm not sure I like hairless. How about fur-free? Heck, you might even get a contract with PETA that way!! I guess if you have to be hairless, or fur-free, summer is the best time to do it. Just don't forget the sunscreen!!

If tan and thin went with it, I'd shave my head. If Kevin wouldn't divorce me over it, I'd shave my head in solidarity with you!!

Love you much!
Mary

===============

If you shaved your head, I'D divorce you! I love your hair...don't ever cut it.
Hair loss is temporary. I'm not overly concerned about it. Fur-free...good one. Stubble-free all summer. Brazilian wax w/out the wax. No plucking stray facial whiskers. I wish that part were permanent.

Orifice...LOL!! I can have a port, or I can be re-stuck everytime they need to have a needle in me. I don't do well with needles. Everyone I've spoken to recommends the port.

Shelli

================

HAHAHA! Please don't divorce me!! Luckily, I have no interest in cutting it! There are definitely some advantages to losing the hair -- and I'm with you; too bad some of them aren't permanent!

Yuck, I'm no good with needles either. The port sounds like a good plan!!

Mary

================

Wow! What good news. I am surprised ..............only 4 treatments. Look into the port thing.................you have to leave it in for a year is my understanding and they are a nuisance at best and can be painful in itself.

Four sticks maybe preferable. I'll try to call Anita Jo and ask her. She works for an onocologist.

Love,
Gaile

================

Hello dear niece,

I am glad to sense your sense of humor in all this. It will help see you through. I put your name in the temple again tonight and I will keep it there. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone on the 19th and 20th for the weddings. I love you.

Bonnie

===============

Dear Shelli,

If you are that phobic, you have definitely made the correct decision. They have a port that is for short term chemo. I emailed Anita, but haven't heard back. I ask a friend here that works in the field. She said that there are two kinds of ports. Childhood pain is a terrible legacy. I am so sorry about what you went through. I do know about "triggers." It sounds like you have a handle on what to expect.

Love to you,
Gaile

================

The thing that I am the most concerned about as a nurse is patient safety. I am assuming that she will receive Adriamycin. If this drug leaks out of the vein, which happens, It will cause the tissue to necrose. It is a very uncomfortable thing for nurses with experience to give into a vein. Even with the best of technique leaks happen. I had it happen oncewith a port. Luckily, I knew what to do when it happened and only a traceof chemo had been given. She developed a chemical burn but no sloughing of tissue and etc. I know it is another surgery but as a nurse I would get one myself. I would like Shelly to have my email address in case she has questions and etc.

Love,
Anita

No comments: